In a great morning of dynamic discussion among council and team, I had the pleasure of presenting the topic ‘Growing a Brand in the Digital Age: International Perspectives’ to the Singapore Institute of Directors, during a weekend ‘Advance’ retreat focusing on board effectiveness lead by Board Accord.
Following are some of the key take-aways from my presentation, which discussed Australian digital marketing trends and some LinkedIn statistics from around the world.
1. Challenges of marketing in today’s world, and insights into how Australians are growing brands in the digital age
- Standing out and staying top of mind amid the digital ‘noise’
- Increased ‘busyness’ and information overload means audience has a lower attention span
- The customer is making informed choices and leading the sale, due to the amount of information freely available and the choices in the market
- Customers expect more value for their money
- Customers expect to see differentiation among brands and authenticity in brand values
Trends in Australia include:
- Brands are seeking to be more ‘human’ in the online space
- Increased awareness of the need for brand differentiation
- Organisations, such as membership-based and not-for-profit, are taking on a marketing model similar to that of other businesses
- Staff education on the impact and potential of their personal brands, as influencers of a wider company/organisation brand
- Leadership teams, sales teams and marketing teams up-skilling on using LinkedIn for business – not just for sales, but brand awareness and relationship/network building
- Executives & businesses learning how to use LinkedIn as an extension of their face-to-face/traditional networking activities
- C-suite executives are working with consultants to position or reposition themselves on LinkedIn
- Using LinkedIn as an integral and detailed part of an organisation’s marketing plan
I also highlighted the personal brand model we use at NWC and its applications, through some client examples.
Read on below for LinkedIn facts and applications